I retired from the Metropolitan Police in 2008 and its quite clear that there have been many significant changes since my departure, some good, some bad and some bloody unbelievable.
- LGBT Officers no longer need to hide their sexuality.
- Ethnic Diversity within the police looks really healthy.
- Sexual Discrimination probably still exists in small pockets, but things really appear to have changed considerably for the better.
- Despite all the cuts rank and file officers are still giving their all.
- This ridiculous notation that to be a police officer you have to have a degree.
- Cuts, cuts and even more cuts.
- Forced cuts forced a lot of experienced officers out.
- Reduced number of Police Canteens.
- Stop and Search being curtailed by those who don’t understand policing.
The Bloody unbelievable
- The reduction in police numbers.
- A Government constantly failing to listen.
One other unbelievable change in policing.
- The number of guys wearing beards. (That’s a personal observation.)